Genital wart is a condition where there is an occurrence of fleshy growth,skin changes or bumpy skin appearing around the genital or perineal area. These are quite common and occurs as a result of viral skin infection that is caused by the human papillomavirus. The human papillomavirus (HPV) is a family of more than 100 different strains of viruses and not a single one.
- Infection with HPV does not exhibit any visible symptoms. Almost 90% of the cases of genital warts are caused by two main strains of the virus, which are type 6 and type 11. Other strains of HPV are responsible for cervical cancer.
- GGenital warts are spread during vaginal or anal intercourse. However, penetrative sex is not mandatory to pass on the infection as HPV can be easily spread by contact with the skin. Warts can also come forth even after an year of contact with someone who has HPV.
- The virus is passed on when warts are present in the person spreading the infection, however, there is a possibility that it can infect even before its development.
- Genital Warts can be get rid of with the help of various forms of treatments. various medicines that are directly applied to genital warts are chosen on the basis of where the warts are located. Some prescription for genital warts treatments can easily be used at your home’s comfort, while others should be applied by your health care provider. Apart from the use of medicines, freezing is another treatment option for removing genital warts This method of treatment is termed as cryotherapy. The other treatment option is burning off genital warts that are also called electrocauterization.
- Eventually, they can be removed with the help of surgery and lasers. In certain cases, they can also be treated with the help of injections of interferon.